In this activity, students have the opportunity to create a lizard-friendly habitat in the school grounds. The extension activity involves designing a suitable environment for keeping lizards in captivity.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- describe the basic survival needs of lizards
- identify key components of a lizard-friendly habitat
- understand threats to lizards in New Zealand and some of the possible solutions.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- discussion questions
- ideas for extending your students.
Visit the Department of Conservation website to find out more about attracting lizards to your garden. It includes downloadable factsheets about gardening for lizards in the lower North Island and Canterbury.
On the Predator Free NZ Trust Make your garden safe for wildlife page, you can download an info-graphic on Creating a lizard friendly garden (PDF, 1.7 MB).
Visit the New Zealand Herpetological Society website to find out more about keeping lizards in captivity.